17 January 2013

Birgitta cap - working both sides toward the middle

I can't overstate how much easier it has been to work the looping threads with a more open base.

Right now, I've got the fourth looping thread almost finished (two along each fabric edge), and I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to finish the middle.

For anyone working from the article in Medieval Clothing & Textiles 4 (Fig 6.15 on page 137), please note that there are some errors in the diagram. The first two drawings on the left have a different under/over pattern from the one at the bottom (which is correct). And as far as getting from the second one on the right to the last one, it might as well say "magic happens here". I'm not entirely convinced that the final diagram is even a possible pattern of continuous threads - I'll be making mine up as I go.

2 comments:

Edyth Miller said...

Just curious, since it's hard to tell in the photo: What's the gap measurement across?

Catrijn vanden Westhende said...

It's at 1.5 cm between the fabric edges, or a little less in a few places. That's somewhat larger than the original (variable 0.8-1.2cm), but it's a pretty comfortable working width for me.